If you’re reading this, you probably have already tried online dating, or you’re curious about putting yourself out there. And I’ll be honest, locking in that first date is only half the battle. Once you have a match, make a connection, then you have to figure out what to do.
From personal experience, this is usually along the line of drinks first, maybe dinner if you’re really hitting off–but that is generally saved for date number two. So what if the date you have in mind is different from what is typical in the online dating world?
Not only do you like to make people laugh, but there’s a great comedy venue down the street from your house. Maybe you’re friends with people who work there; perhaps you’re a comedian yourself. Either this, you know this is where you want to take your next date. So how do you put yourself out there to ask a stranger to join you on a date for a comedy show? Well, that’s what you’re here to figure out. So let’s get into it!
Compatible Dates for Enjoyable Experiences
This should be obvious, but I’m going to say it anyway. Finding a compatible date lays the foundation for an enjoyable night. When you share common interests and values with someone you go out with, you’re more likely to create a stronger connection and enjoy the quality of your time together. And if you have a sense of humor, then you understand that not everyone is going to laugh at your jokes–but those who do, well, those are the people you’d like to continue to hang out with.
Now, imagine combining the convenience and ease of dating sites with your love for comedy. It might seem intimidating, but it’s all about perspective. By using dating sites as a tool, you can explore a world of potential matches who share your passion for laughter and entertainment.
This doesn’t have to be hard! With a little effort, in no time, you’ll be connecting with individuals who appreciate the value of comedic performances and enjoy the thrill of live entertainment. When it comes to dating, finding activities that foster a more profound connection is crucial. And guess what? I have good news for you. A comedy show is a really easy first-date idea.
This shared experience strengthens the bond between partners and helps them navigate difficult times by injecting humor and lightheartedness into their relationship. Research has shown that couples who share laughter together often report higher relationship satisfaction and increased feelings of closeness.
It serves as a reminder that a relationship can thrive on fun, playfulness, and the ability to find joy in each other’s company. And if you meet up with the person and find you have nothing else in common, well, hey, at least you enjoyed the show. So how do you get started?
Pick the Right Site
With a plethora of dating sites available, it can be overwhelming to determine which one is best suited for finding a date for a comedy show date. Each one listed below will offer something unique that will cater to this interest. And if you find that one doesn’t work, there’s nothing wrong with giving a different one a shot.
Known for its diverse user base and user-friendly interface, Zoosk is great for people who get overwhelmed by endless swiping. Their behavior matchmaking system and SuperPick tool will send compatible matches directly to your proverbial doorstep. All you have to do is literally use the site. Yep. The algorithm is like your own personal Artificial Intelligence matchmaker, studying your behavior on the site. In other words, the more you talk about your experience or enjoyment of comedy, either in your profile or with other users, the more likely you’ll be linked up with someone who shares that interest.
eHarmony is a popular dating site renowned for its ability to match you with people who share your interests. When you set up your profile, you fill out a detailed questionnaire where you can include all of your hobbies, meaning that you can add comedy as something you like doing. Not only will you be more likely to connect with people who would be interested in going to a comedy show, but you can directly say on your profile that this is what you’re looking to do on your date.
This website is so much more than just a dating site. MeetUp is a place where you can gather with strangers and friends to pursue unique interests–like comedy! And because there’s less pressure than you might find on a blind date with a stranger, it’s actually a great place to find a potential romantic match. Not only can you join predesigned groups, but you can create your own, meaning you can create a comedy show event. And even better, then you’ll know that the people you meet will share your comedy-loving interests, already giving you something in common.
If you’re unsure if those sites will be suitable for you, you may need to clarify exactly what you’re looking for. You don’t need to know if you’re going to marry the person you’re going out with, but if you’re looking for something more casual, maybe check out Tinder instead. Otherwise, dating sites like those listed above may align more with the potential of this becoming a serious thing.
Craft Your Profile
The next step in this process will be creating a profile that will give you the kind of matches you are looking for the same thing you are. This could be as serious as finding someone who is looking for a relationship or as low-key as showing off your humor.
The goal is to cultivate a well-crafted profile so you can attract compatible matches who will embrace and share in your sense of humor.
- First Impressions Matter: Your dating profile is the first interaction potential matches have with you. A well-crafted profile allows you to showcase your personality, sense of humor, and interests, leaving a positive and lasting impression.
- Picture Perfect: Okay, it doesn’t have to be perfect. But just remember that regardless of the site you choose, your photos are the first thing people will notice. If you use group photos, make sure it’s obvious who you are. And because you’re trying to find a date for a comedy show, it’s all right if your photo is on the funny side.
- Filtering for Compatibility: Adding a bio that accurately represents your personality and fondness for comedy is incredibly helpful. The more authentically it represents you, the more your profile will help filter out people who aren’t suited for you and narrow down your matches to individuals who share your passion for comedy.
- Highlight Your Comedy Interests: Mention your favorite comedians, TV shows, or stand-up performances in your profile. This not only demonstrates your enthusiasm for comedy but also provides conversation starters and icebreakers. You can even make it a debate: i.e., My controversial opinion: Dane Cook is funny. [Edited to add this is not my personal opinion.]
- Showcase Your Sense of Humor: This should go without saying. If you’re trying to bring someone on a date to a comedy show, indicating your sense of humor or your love for comedy is important! But one thing I’m going to recommend–just because in my perpetual singleness I see this all the time–do not say: “My special skill is making you laugh,” “I speak sarcasm,” “Looking for someone who gets my jokes,” or anything similar. Why, you ask? It doesn’t show the person looking at your profile that you’re funny. Maybe it’s the fiction writer in me, but it goes back to the old “show don’t tell” mentality. Don’t tell me you’re funny. Show it. How you ask?
- Infuse Playfulness: Use light-hearted language and a playful tone throughout your profile. Avoid being too serious or generic; instead, show your fun and adventurous side. Actually, use sarcasm in your posts. Put a photo of you being ridiculous. Make a joke when you message someone. The key is not to take yourself too seriously, and when you do that, your sense of humor will come across effortlessly.
- Use Humorous Prompts: If you’re really unsure how to incorporate humor –or your love for comedy–in your posts, then take advantage of the prompts. Some dating sites provide questions or icebreakers you can answer. For example, I put a photo of me falling out of a chair and then picked the prompt: “Give me travel tips for…” My answer? “The moon. I’ve embarrassed myself enough on this earth.” You get the idea.
- Swipe on Funny: By being even a little self-deprecating, you’re putting a vibe out into the online dating world that says: I like to laugh. So not only should you try to make your profile amusing, but swipe on profiles that make you laugh. Make an effort to swipe on people whose profiles share your vibe. Because that’s the kind of person, who is going to be down to go to a comedy show with you.
Understanding Search Filters
When it comes to finding a date for a comedy show, it can be helpful to optimize your search filters to help you connect with like-minded individuals who share your love for laughter.
- Location-Based Filters: Dating sites often allow you to set your search radius, ensuring you find a match who lives in your vicinity. If you’re trying to get a date to that show on Friday–and that’s tomorrow–it’s probably not going to do much good if you match with someone who lives five hours away.
- Age and Gender Filters: Customize your search by setting age and gender preferences, ensuring you are matched with individuals who fit your desired criteria. These filters help narrow down your matches because even if you find a date to join you, at the end of the day, you want to make sure they’re your type, too.
- Interests and Hobbies: Look for dating sites that offer detailed profile sections where users can express their interests and hobbies. By utilizing these filters, you can search for individuals who specifically mention comedy, stand-up, or comedy show attendance in their profiles as something they like to do in their free time.
- Keyword Searches: This one’s a bit of a dating site cheat code. Use search functions to enter keywords like “comedy,” “stand-up,” or the names of your favorite comedians. This will bring up profiles that mention those keywords, linking you up with people who will more than likely say yes to going on a date to a comedy show with you.
Once you’ve connected with potential matches who share your love for comedy, all that’s left is to invite them out! And if you follow these tips and strategies, then you’ll have already built a solid foundation to do just that. So get ready to ignite some comedy-fueled connections and try to keep your snorts to a minimum when you’re laughing at the show.